Rainbow Railroad monitors conditions in the 70 countries that criminalize same sex intimacy. For a detailed look at those countries see ILGA’s state sponsored report on homophobia.Below are a list of media reports in relevant regions of our work
- Paradise Lost - The Plight of LGBT People in the Eastern Caribbean, Human Rights Watch, 2018.
- In Caribbean, vibrant gay rights movement fights homophobia, RFI, 2019.
- Lawsuits in four Caribbean countries challenge colonial-era sodomy laws, The Washington Blade, 2019
- The facade of LGBTQ progress in Cuba, Xtra Magazine, 2020.
- Lawyer and gay-rights advocate says homophobia is ‘pervasive’ in Caribbean, Global News, 2019.
- Battleground Barbados: LGBT activists face off against North American homophobes in the Caribbean, Xtra Magazine, 2017.
- Where Europe stands on gay marriage and civil unions, Pew Research Center, 2019.
- Being LGBTI in Eastern Europe: Progress, drawbacks, recommendations, United Nations Development Programme, ND.
- LGBTQI Rights in the Balkans: A Perpetual Struggle, Inter Press Service, 2019.
- Old problems, new prospects: LGBT situation in Ukraine in 2019, Nash Mir, 2020
- Can the Czech Republic Tear Down Europe’s Rainbow Curtain?, Foreign Policy, 2019.
- Homophobia in Poland still deeply entrenched, DW.com, 2020.
- Rising populism stokes homophobic hate speech across Europe - rights group, Reuters, 2020.
MIDDLE EAST NORTH AFRICA
- “Don’t Punish Me for Who I Am”: Systemic Discrimination Against Transgender Women in Lebanon, Human Rights Watch, 2019.
- Violence and Discrimination Based on Sexual Orienation and Gender Identity in Iraq, OutRight Action International, 2019.
- North Africa seen as unsafe for LGBT people: rights groups, DW.com, 2019.
- Mass Execution in Saudi Arabia Kills 5 Linked to Homosexual Acts, Out.com, 2019.
- Iran's Foreign Minister Defends Execution of Gays, The Advocate, 2019.
- The British Empire's Homophobia Lives On in Former Colonies, The Atlantic, 2019.
- Mapping anti-gay laws in Africa, Amnesty International, 2018.
- Why is homosexuality still taboo in many African countries?, DW.com, 2019.
- Globalizing Hatred, Harvard Political Review, 2019.
- Shining a light on trans women’s needs in sub-Sarahan Africa, Avert, 2020
- Botswana High Court Strikes Down Sodomy Laws: New Momentum for African LGBT Movements, Human Rights Watch, 2019.
- Kenya court upholds ban on gay sex in major setback for activists, The Guardian, 2019.
SOUTH CENTRAL ASIA
- Life in the Closet: The LGBT Community in Central Asia, The Diplomat, 2019.
- What Does India’s Transgender Community Want? A new law presents challenges for India’s transgender communities, The Diplomat, 2020.
- LGBTQ people to be counted in Nepal's census for the first time, The Christian Science Monitor, 2020.
- The Missing Piece in Uzbekistan’s Reform Puzzle, The Diplomat, 2019
- One year after landmark ruling for LGBT+ rights in India, challenges persist, Reuters, 2019.
EAST & SOUTHEAST ASIA
- Being LGBT in Asia and the Pacific, United Nations Development Programme, 2020.
- Being LGBT In Southeast Asia: Stories Of Abuse, Survival And Tremendous Courage, Huffington Post, 2015.
- Denied Work: An Audit On Job Discrimination On The Basis Of Gender Identity In South-East Asia, Asia-Pacific Transgender Network, 2018.
- Tolerance but not Inclusion: A national survey on experiences of discrimination and social attitudes towards LGBT people in Thailand, United Nations Development Programme, 2019.
- China’s Complicated LGBT Movement, The Diplomat, 2018.
- Why is China raising the prospect of same-sex marriage?, NBC News, 2020.
- Advocates hope Taiwan’s same-sex marriage decision will spark ‘ripple effect’ across Asia, Washington Post, 2019.