We are hiring for this role immediately.
Rainbow Railroad is an international organization, based in both Canada and the United States, whose mission is to help LGBTQI persons in danger find safety. Since our founding in 2006, we’ve helped over 1,000 LGBTQI individuals find safety.
Rainbow Railroad is in the midst of direct casework in Afghanistan. We are currently looking for a highly organized Program Officer who can work quickly to support triage work while we maintain our regular casework. Reporting directly to the Director of Program Development, this is a frontline position and will involve direct casework with individuals experiencing anti-LGBQTI+ persecution internationally. This role will work non-traditional hours during the week and will involve working evenings and weekends.
- Serve as the first point of contact for requests for help, communicating directly with at-risk individuals to review, organize, verify, and triage their cases for further management by case-workers and the Director of Program Development
- Work directly with triaged and verified clients and support in the planning, coordinating and executing emergency support for persecuted LGBTQI individuals
- Liaise with partners and agents to assist with relevant case work
- Maintain accurate case notes using Rainbow Railroad’s systems
- Administrative tasks relating to casework
- Emergency support for navigating failed travel situations
Desired Skills and Experience
- A degree from a post-secondary institution and/or equivalent progressive experience. Education ideally in social work, law, or international relations.
- 2+ years’ experience working in social services or another client-centered, frontline role, preferably with migrant, refugee, or asylee populations and/or with the LGBTQI+ community
- Experience with or keen interest in learning about international immigration trends, policies, and laws related to international travel
- Organized and keen attention to detail
- Spoken and written professional proficiency in any of the following languages considered a strong asset: Dari, Pashto, Arabic, Persian, Spanish, French, Swahili
- Flexibility and willingness to respond to last minute requests and emergency situations is a must – this means responding to emergencies outside regular working hours
Application Deadline – As soon as possible and on a rolling basis
Length of Contract – Full-Time, 3 months (with the possibility of extension)
Hiring Salary Range – $60,000 prorated
Please forward your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Include the exact job title in the subject line of your email.