Around the world, 70 countries have anti-homosexuality laws, and many more have other laws that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. In 11 countries, same-sex intimacy can be punishable by death. In too many countries, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer and intersex (LGBTQI) people are routinely arrested, denied basic human rights, and are being brutally attacked, tortured, or even murdered.
Rainbow Railroad was founded in 2006 to provide an additional solution to address the global refugee crisis, to which LGBTQI persons are uniquely vulnerable. Rainbow Railroad’s mission is to help persecuted LGBTQI individuals get to safety as they seek a safe haven from state-enabled harassment and violence. Rainbow Railroad provides support to LGBTQI individuals seeking safety with airfare and financial support that facilitates departure, travel, arrival and referral for settlement. Beyond direct financial assistance, Rainbow Railroad provides information, resources, and advice for asylum claimants. Since 2006, Rainbow Railroad has helped more than 3,867 LGBTQI+ people seek safety.
Reporting to the Head of Operations, the Senior Administrator, Strategic and Executive Planning is responsible for organization-wide planning and coordination in a range of areas including Board secretariat support, strategic planning, organizational policy and planning, information management, and providing administrative support to the Executive Director and broader Senior Leadership Team.
You are inspired by our mission, are comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, and appreciate the importance of strong governance, good documentation, and methodical organization. You are a strategic thinker, proactive, accountable, motivated, and highly organized with an eye for detail and a stomach for the unpredictable. You love to problem solve, are eager to contribute, all while making strategic decisions around prioritization which you can communicate well.
- Manages Board secretariat and administrative services for the Executive Director the Board(s); preparation and distribution of meeting and committee agendas, minutes, follow-up tracking and systems.
- Supports calendar management, scheduling, and meeting logistics for the Executive Director.
- Provides senior level executive assistance and coordination on a variety of special assignments, strategic projects, senior administrative functions and provides back up in office operations.
- Provides policy analysis, formulation, and advice to the Head of Operations, department heads and management team at both strategic and operational level.
- Works with senior leadership and colleagues on operational priorities and plans including operational/organizational planning, financial reporting, program reviews, human resources, business and strategic planning and other initiatives.
- Designs, coordinates, plans and implements a variety of organizational processes for monitoring and reporting on initiatives, status of deliverables and outcomes, operations and services; facilitating timelines and accountabilities, particularly for cross organizational initiatives.
- Leads and/or supports cross-departmental teams in the development and application of organizational policies; identification of a range of options for implementation and management; assessment of the implications, and viability of options.
- Assists in the assessment and analysis of organizational effectiveness, conducts studies and prepares confidential reports with respect to systems, processes and practices, and organizational change.
- Researches and prepares reports, briefing notes and presentations for the Executive Director, Senior Management and the Board.
- Post-secondary education in Public Administration, Human Resources, and/or Communications and 7+ years of administrative support to senior leaders in a not-for profit setting and/or combined equivalent of education and experience.
- Demonstrated capacity to collaborate effectively with senior leaders to discuss matters, influence next steps and provide explanations for effective operations.
- Demonstrated relationship management skills to represent the Executive Director on committees, task forces, special projects, exchange information, discuss issues and address matters of mutual concern.
- Excellent strategic and lateral thinking skills in combination with strong research, analytical, and problem-solving abilities.
- Highly developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of stakeholders, donors, funders and government bodies.
- Ability to negotiate persuasively, resolve conflict, and effectively forge solid internal and external relationships and multi-task effectively and meet competing deadlines for internal and external partners.
- Comprehensive knowledge of applicable legislation.
- Commitment and support of the LGBQTI+ communities in Canada and internationally and a strong commitment to anti-racist, feminist, and intersectional approaches.
- Excellent computer skills (Mac environment), knowledge of software programs (Google Apps, DocuSign, Slack, Monday), familiarity with database software (Salesforce); and understanding of IT systems
- Advanced facilitation and project management skills including the definition of project purpose and objectives, project activities, milestones and deliverables, and monitoring and tracking progress.
- Demonstrated senior decision-making skills with a track record of demonstrating innovation and results-orientated leadership.
Application Deadline –Accepting applications on a rolling basis until filled
Length of Contract – Full-Time, Permanent
Hiring Salary Range – $70,000-$85,000 plus competitive benefits package.