Senior Administrator, IT and Systems
Around the world, 70 countries have anti-homosexuality laws, and many more have other laws that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. In 11 countries, same-sex intimacy can be punishable by death. In too many countries, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer and intersex (LGBTQI) people are routinely arrested, denied basic human rights, and are being brutally attacked, tortured, or even murdered.
Rainbow Railroad was founded in 2006 to provide an additional solution to address the global refugee crisis, to which LGBTQI persons are uniquely vulnerable. Rainbow Railroad’s mission is to help persecuted LGBTQI individuals get to safety as they seek a safe haven from state-enabled harassment and violence. Rainbow Railroad provides support to LGBTQI individuals seeking safety with airfare and financial support that facilitates departure, travel, arrival, and referral for settlement. Beyond direct financial assistance, Rainbow Railroad provides information, resources, and advice for asylum claimants.
Rainbow Railroad is a registered Canadian charity and a USA 501(c)(3) organization with its headquarters in Toronto, Canada and an office in New York City, USA.
Reporting to the Head of Operations, the Senior Administrator, IT and Systems works collaboratively to build safe a secure organizational infrastructure, prioritizing digital, physical, and cyber security protection. The position will be responsible for developing a proactive safety and security program that utilizes a risk-based approach that protects Rainbow Railroads people, systems, and data. The ideal candidate will have extensive IT knowledge and will understand and proactively respond to the unique risks faced by Rainbow Railroad as an international human rights organization. The position will be responsible for the deployment of technology, building the capacity of staff and the organization to work safely, will work to identify and mitigate potential risks, and will lead our risk assessment and risk and crisis management strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
IT and Cybersecurity
- Establishes and maintains the overarching IT security strategy for Rainbow Railroad, including compliance monitoring and enforcement.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and continuous refinement of cybersecurity policies, standards, guidelines, and procedures and monitors compliance
- Oversees information and data gathering to identify, understand and address cyber risks or threats.
- Establishes and maintains information networks and relationships with key networks of experts to inform both changing strategy requirements and immediate operational risks.
- Provides proactive leadership and analysis on emerging cybersecurity issues and threats.
Crisis and Risk Management
- Leads Rainbow Railroad’s crisis management strategies, including crisis planning and crisis response.
- Works to establish a culture of security awareness and prevention of security incidents.
- Works with the Risk Committee to establish and maintain an organizational risk matrix or risk register to track, respond, and report out on risk management activities.
- Manages the deployment of all IT infrastructure and orients new staff to safety and security protocol
- Establishes and manages budgets and financial resources effectively and efficiently.
- Oversees key outsourced vendors to ensure delivery of high-quality and cost-effective services and products
- Produces regular reports on program operations, incidents, and compliance for senior leadership and staff
- Provides administrative support and expertise to the Board’s Risk Committee, including an up-to-date Risk Management Work Plan and Risk Matrix
- Oversees the development of internal training and capacity building activities that strengthen organizational knowledge and understanding of security risks
- Leads the debrief process when breaches to organizational security occur
- 5+ years of relevant safety and security experience and demonstrated professional experience managing cybersecurity risks
- Experience in digital or information security training , particularly in teaching skills or tools to individuals with limited knowledge
- Ability to translate technical information into easily understandable information for non-technical audiences
- Ability to develop and manage detailed project strategies and plans by coordinating with multiple stakeholders to deliver projects
- Familiarity with IT technologies and concepts including but not limited to strong authentication, network security, endpoint security, vulnerability management, information assurance, security operations, mobile security, privacy, and regulatory compliance
- Familiarity with creating and/or designing engaging and easily digestible presentations, reports, and similar materials
- Ability to adapt, re-prioritize project work, and help drive the team’s focus as priorities shift or requirements change
- Ability to act with integrity, and a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Relationship building -demonstrated experience and enjoyment working with and supporting a diverse workforce
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, including the ability to work and make decisions independently as well as within a team
- Excellent problem-solving skills and able to tackle problems in a calm manner
- Excellent computer skills (Mac environment), knowledge of software programs (Google Apps, Docusign, Slack, Monday), familiarity with database software (Salesforce); and understanding of IT systems
- Versatile, skilled, and effective communicator with demonstrable evidence of strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work effectively and exercise good judgment with all levels of volunteers, staff, committee members and the public.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment with strict deadlines
- Adapt to the needs of a rapidly changing organization
- Familiar with anti-oppression principles
- Commitment and support of the LGBQTI+ community in Canada and internationally
Application Deadline – February 6, 2023 @ 12:00pm EST
Length of Contract – Full-Time, Permanent
Hiring Salary – $70,000-$82,000/year plus competitive benefits package.
Location – Will work out of our Toronto office
Please forward your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the exact job title in the subject line of your email. Do not apply within the LinkedIn platform.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
Rainbow Railroad is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.