The Head of Impact (HOI) is a newly created position at Rainbow Railroad, reflecting the extraordinary growth the organization has experienced and the strategic importance of expanding senior leadership capacity and broadening programmatic efforts and impact. The new HOI will join a dynamic, high-growth organization and innovative global leader in providing life-changing and life-saving direct services.
The HOI will be a member of the senior leadership team with responsibility for continued organizational development across strategy, programs, and policy, and will function as a key strategic and thought partner to Rainbow Railroad’s Executive Director, Kimahli Powell (he/him). This position will provide leadership and support to a passionate and experienced program staff, as well as oversee the development of a dedicated policy/advocacy team – part of Rainbow Railroad’s vision for the future. This person will also play a critical role in operationalizing the goals and objectives set out in the strategic and annual plans to help Rainbow Railroad achieve a newly envisioned organizational structure
A big picture thinker and a strong writer, the HOI will support partnership development, government relations, program development, policy, research, monitoring and evaluation, and publications. They will know Rainbow Railroad’s programming inside and out and be ready to roll up their sleeves and provide direct assistance to Programs and Policy teams as needed.
Reports to the Executive Director. Manages two direct reports, the Director of Programs and the Director of Policy (to be hired). Leads a team of twelve, when fully staffed, including government relations, casework, monitoring and evaluation, and policy staff.
▪ With the Head of Operations, ED, and Board of Directors, co-lead annual and strategic planning processes;
▪ Maintain a forward-looking, strategic perspective for the organization, thinking about and planning for what is needed to support the organization’s future growth;
▪ Act as an advisor and thought partner on all aspects of the organization’s work, continually exploring ways to advance the organization’s strategic goals and impact.
Partnerships & Policy Advancement
▪ Develop and help steward relationships with external stakeholders including government entities, global refugee movement organizations and leaders, international NGOs, and for-profit partners and stakeholders;
▪ Support the Executive Director’s advocacy in all countries where the organization is pursuing referral relationships;
▪ Develop a government relations strategy with the goal of securing commitments from multiple governments to create programs to receive LGBTQI+ refugees and asylum seekers;
▪ Provide briefing notes and evidence-based reports where appropriate.
Program Expansion & Research
▪ Identify and support new projects, pilots, strategic initiatives, and partnerships to advance Rainbow Railroad’s work and impact;
▪ With the Executive Director, provide strategic updates on the overall direction of the organization;
▪ With the Head of Operations, co-lead the risk management process.
DESIRED SKILLS & PROFESIONAL EXPERIENCE
Successful candidates for this position will likely come from the professional ecosystem in which Rainbow Railroad operates, (e.g., global human rights, international LGBTQI+ equality, refugee/resettlement, and directly related movements) and will bring content knowledge and expertise to help advance the organization’s impact. They will almost certainly be a member of (or active ally to) the LGBTQI+ community; ideally with personal or professional experience with immigration, asylum, and/or refugee/resettlement programs. Regardless of identity, this person will have demonstrated passion for global human rights and will understand and operate with the sense of urgency this work requires.
▪ Minimum of 7 years of leadership experience in a nonprofit organization, government agency, or private sector;
▪ Knowledge, experience, and professional history in the global LGBTQI+ and/or human rights movement –ideally with content expertise around the international refugee movement and/or forced displacement, asylum, and immigration;
▪ Proven track record of successfully leading growth and innovation, including the creation, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of strategic plans and program initiatives;
▪ Clear and strong writing skills – including formal research, reports, publications – as well as excellent verbal communication, presentation, and public relations abilities;
▪ Strong, solution-oriented leadership, strategic communications skills, project management abilities, and political acuity;
▪ Effective facilitation, influencing, and negotiation skills;
▪ Exceptional relationship building and conflict resolution skills;
▪ Proven ability to source and analyze data to solve complex issues;
▪ Undergraduate degree – preferably in immigration/refugee studies, law, public administration, political science, international development, or other related discipline – or equivalent lived/professional experience.
Kevin Chase Executive Search Group has been retained to lead this recruitment effort on behalf of Rainbow Railroad. Kevin Chase Executive Search Group works only with equal opportunity employers. No applicant will be discriminated against because of racial or ethnic identity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sex characteristics, or disability. Individuals of LGBTQI+, BIPOC, and/or immigrant or refugee experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit a complete resume with full employment history and a cover detailing your interest in the position and the professional and/or lived experience you believe make you a uniquely qualified candidate for this role. All inquiries, applications, or referrals will be held in strict confidence.