Rainbow Railroad is an international organization based in Canada and the United States whose mission is to help LGBTQI+ persons in danger find safety. Our ultimate goal is a world free of persecution based on sexual orientation, gender identity or sex characteristics. Until then, we provide solutions for individuals in immediate danger of persecution or violence amidst a global refugee crisis. In partnership with a global network of LGBTQI+ organizations and human rights defenders, we coordinate directly with individuals experiencing violence to get them out of harm’s way. Around the world, we are recognized or our efforts to support and protect the thousands of LGBTQI+ people living in countries which criminalize their existence.
Since our founding in 2006, we’ve helped over 1,000 LGBTQI+ individuals find safety.
You are an innovative, results-oriented, and highly motivated individual who will further support Rainbow Railroad’s exponential growth. You will play a critical role in the development and implementation of all financial, human resources and administrative plans. You are a true leader, professional and polished, emotionally intelligent, with a strong work ethic. You are accountable, motivated, and highly organized with a keen eye for detail. You love to problem solve and meet challenges head on. You are strategic in managing staff/vendors, team building and leadership. Rainbow Railroad has grown quickly from a small grassroots organization and as we continue to grow ambitiously and at a very fast pace, this role is key in navigating the finance, human resources and administrative support to meet the future needs of the organization. Reporting to the Managing Director, you will work closely with the senior management team and oversee a team of three: Senior Accountant, Bookkeeper and Office Administrator & Executive Assistant.
- Provides leadership to the organization’s finance and administrative staff, be an advisor to the other directors, assessing and assisting them with their human resources and health and safety requirements, ensuring alignment with the organization’s strategic and operational planning
- Responsible for the recruiting, selecting, orientating, ongoing development, performance management within the finance and administrative team, as well as playing a critical role in supporting a human resources plan for the organization
- Ensures effective monitoring and evaluation strategies are in place to promote a continuous quality
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Lead the organization’s financial planning cycles including budgets and forecast analysis
- Oversee the timely and accurate reporting on financial statements on a quarterly basis to the Managing Director, Executive Director and Finance Committee
- Assist the Executive Director and the Board Treasurer with financial reporting as required at Board meetings and the Annual General meetings
- Liaison with Banks and Governments
- Ensure statutory reporting compliance in all relevant jurisdictions including those pertaining to not-for-profit organizations
- Be an active member of the Finance Committee and liaise with the Treasurer
- Review and implement changes recommended in the audit management report
- Work with cross-functional teams on ad-hoc projects and process improvement
- Evaluate the need for new technology to meet the organization’s financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements
Human Resources and Administration
- Develops HR and Administration plans, policies and processes to ensure support strategies and adherence with legislation as well as effective operations and program efficiency e.g. HR Manual, Financial Policies and Procedures, Travel Policies, Office Guidelines, Health and Safety Manuals, etc.
- Strategizes in collaboration with the senior management team to ensure that all HR and Administration policies, procedures and practices are implemented
- Administers organization’s benefits program and office insurance
- Manage relationships with external contractors and suppliers
- Identifies and brings forward to the senior management team human resources and administrative issues as appropriate and provides recommendations for action; participates in problem-solving, brainstorming and bringing forward proposed solutions to a range of issues
- Support in the organizations’ annual, strategic and risk management planning activities
- Oversee all general office management and administrative functions (e.g. office supplies, tools, systems, mail outs, printing, etc.) to ensure effective, high quality work environment and efficient daily operations of the organization
- Play a lead role in Occupational Health and Safety with a proactive health and safety program
- File and retrieve corporate records, documents, and reports
- Supervise IT support to ensure quality of IT systems and infrastructure, cybersecurity being the utmost priority
- Oversee organizational need for computer hardware and software, procuring new equipment as needed
- Apply updates to our website in WordPress as needed
- Oversee management of organizational tools such as: Docusign, LastPass, Slack, Google Suite, Collage, Monday, and other platforms
- 7+ years of leadership and strategic experience in financial and accounting management, human resources and administration in a not-for profit/startup business setting
- University degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting and/or equivalent progressive experience
- Experience managing budgets from $3 to $10 million
- Accounting designation (CA, CMA or CGA) or working towards obtaining CPA would be an asset
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail; resourceful, flexible, with ability to prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, including the ability to work and make decisions independently as well as within a team
- Excellent problem-solving skills and able to tackle problems in a calm manner
- Excellent computer skills (Mac environment), highly proficient in QuickBooks and Excel, knowledge of software programs (Google Apps, Docusign, Slack, Monday), familiarity with database software (Salesforce); and understanding of IT systems
- Versatile, skilled, and effective communicator with demonstrable evidence of strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment with strict deadlines
- Ability to Adapt to the needs of a rapidly changing organization
- Familiar with anti-oppression principles
- Commitment and support of the LGBQTI community in Canada and internationally
Application Deadline – September 13, 2021 at 12pm
Length of Contract – Full-Time, Permanent
Hiring Salary Range – $70,000-$80,000 plus competitive benefits package.
Please apply for this posting directly on this webpage. Alternatively, if you encounter difficulties filling out the form, please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected] Include the exact job title in the subject line of your email. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
Rainbow Railroad is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Requests for accommodation due to disability can be made at any stage in the recruitment process.