Rainbow Railroad is an international organization based in Canada and the United States whose mission is to help LGBTQI+ persons in danger find safety. Our ultimate goal is a world free of persecution based on sexual orientation, gender identity or sex characteristics. Until then, we provide solutions for individuals in immediate danger of persecution or violence amidst a global refugee crisis. In partnership with a global network of LGBTQI+ organizations and human rights defenders, we coordinate directly with individuals experiencing violence to get them out of harm’s way. Around the world, we are recognized or our efforts to support and protect the thousands of LGBTQI+ people living in countries which criminalize their existence.
Since our founding in 2006, we’ve helped over 1,000 LGBTQI+ individuals find safety.
You are an innovative, results-oriented, and highly motivated individual who will further support Rainbow Railroad’s exponential growth. You will play a critical role in the development and implementation of all financial plans. You are a true leader, professional and polished, emotionally intelligent, with a strong work ethic. You are accountable, motivated, and highly organized with a keen eye for detail. You love to problem solve and meet challenges head on. You are strategic in managing staff/vendors, team building and leadership.
Rainbow Railroad has grown quickly from a small grassroots organization and as we continue to grow ambitiously and at a very fast pace, this role is key in navigating the organization’s financial plans to meet the future needs of the organization.
Reporting to the Executive Director, you will work closely with the senior management team and have two direct reports: Senior Accountant and Bookkeeper.
- Provides leadership to the organization’s finance team, be an advisor to the other directors, assessing and assisting them with their finance and budgeting needs, ensuring alignment with the organization’s strategic and operational planning
- Responsible for recruiting, selecting, orientating, ongoing development and performance management of the finance team
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Lead the organization’s financial planning cycles including budgets and forecast analysis
- Oversee the timely and accurate reporting on financial statements on a quarterly basis to the Executive Director and Finance Committee
- Assist the Executive Director and the Board Treasurer with financial reporting as required at Board meetings and the Annual General meetings
- Liaison with Banks and Governments
- Ensure statutory reporting compliance in all relevant jurisdictions including those pertaining to not-for-profit organizations
- Be an active member of the Finance Committee and liaise with the Treasurer
- Review and implement changes recommended in the audit management report
- Work with cross-functional teams on ad-hoc projects and process improvement
- Evaluate the need for new technology to meet the organization’s financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements
- 7+ years of leadership and strategic experience in financial and accounting management in a not-for profit/startup business setting
- University degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting and/or equivalent progressive experience
- Experience managing budgets from $3 to $10 million
- Accounting designation (CA, CMA or CGA) or working towards obtaining CPA would be an asset
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail; resourceful, flexible, with ability to prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, including the ability to work and make decisions independently as well as within a team
- Excellent problem-solving skills and able to tackle problems in a calm manner
- Excellent computer skills (Mac environment), highly proficient in QuickBooks and Excel, knowledge of software programs (Google Apps, Docusign, Slack, Monday), familiarity with database software (Salesforce); and understanding of IT systems
- Versatile, skilled, and effective communicator with demonstrable evidence of strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment with strict deadlines
- Ability to Adapt to the needs of a rapidly changing organization
- Familiar with anti-oppression principles
- Commitment and support of the LGBQTI community in Canada and internationally
Application Deadline – Ongoing until filled
Length of Contract – Full-Time, Permanent
Hiring Salary Range – $75,000-$90,000 plus competitive benefits package.
Please apply for this posting directly on this webpage. Alternatively, if you encounter difficulties filling out the form, please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected] Include the exact job title in the subject line of your email. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
Rainbow Railroad is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Requests for accommodation due to disability can be made at any stage in the recruitment process.